From: "Andrew Wang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: "Milind Bhandarkar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "shv hadoop" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Steve Loughran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Kun Ling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Roman Shaposhnik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Andrew Purtell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Sanjay Radia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 1:32:38 PM
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Ensuring Consistent Behavior for Alternative Hadoop FileSystems + Workshop

Hey Steve,

I agree that it's confusing. FileSystem and FileContext are essentially two
parallel sets of interfaces for accessing filesystems in Hadoop.
FileContext splits the interface and shared code with AbstractFileSystem,
while FileSystem is all-in-one. If you're looking for the AFS equivalents
to DistributedFileSystem and LocalFileSystem, see Hdfs and LocalFs.

Realistically, FileSystem isn't going to be deprecated and removed any time
soon. There are lots of 3rd-party FileSystem implementations, and most apps
today use FileSystem (including many HDFS internals, like trash and the
shell).

When I read the wiki page, I figured that the mention of AFS was
essentially a typo, since everyone's been steaming ahead with FileSystem.
Standardizing FileSystem makes total sense to me, I just wanted to confirm
that plan.

Best,
Andrew