I think there is some level of support for auth via their REST api, but I
don't see anything specific to X-Pack as you mentioned. However, the major
reason we did not adopt it at the time of upgrade was because a number of
features were not available to REST yet and the effort to simultaneously
upgrade ES and migrate the API to REST was an effort decidedly too large
for the scope of the PR at the time.