I would like to back port as little as possible. I suggest the following
criteria:

* By default, regressions are back ported to existing release branches. A
bug is considered a regression if the functionality is present in the
previous minor or patch version and is not affected by the bug there.

* Critical and blocker issues, e.g., a CVE, can be back ported.

* Other bugs and significant improvements, e.g., performance, may be back
ported, the release manager should ideally be the one who decides on this.