Welcome Jonathan.

http://hadoop.apache.org/releases.html stated:
"Hadoop is released as source code tarballs with corresponding binary
tarballs for convenience. "

and Andrew Wang said "The binary artifacts (including JARs) are technically
just convenience artifacts" and it seems not an uncommon practice to do
follow-up builds to release maven artifacts.

IIRC, Andrew once shared with me that we started in 3.x to use a single
build to to do both release binaries creation and maven artifacts
deployment, prior releases are using multiple builds:

Referring to https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease

   - 3.x: step 4 in   "Creating the release candidate (X.Y.Z-RC<N>)"
   section does both release binaries creation and maven artifacts deployment.
   - prior to 3.x: step 4 does release binary creation, and step 10 does
   maven artifacts deployment, *each step does its build so two builds here*.
   As a matter of fact, I did not run step 10 for 3.0.3.

That said, I agree that ideally it's better to do a single build to
generate release binaries and deploy maven artifacts from the same build.

Hope it helps. Welcome other folks to chime in.

Best,

--Yongjun