Another reason I like the 3.0.0-alphaX approach is the ease of
communicating compatibility guarantees.

A lot of our compatibility guarantees (e.g. API/wire compat) mention
"within a major release". For the user, thinking of 3.0.0 as the beginning
of a major release seems easier than 3.2.0 being the beginning. Most users
likely will not be interested in the alphas or betas; I assume downstream
projects and early adopters are the primary targets for these pre-GA
releases.

By capturing what we mean by alpha and beta, we can communicate the
compatibility guarantees moving from alpha1 to alphaX to betaX to GA; this
applies to both the Hadoop-2 model and the 3.0.0-alphaX model.