I do kind of concur, but also think we need to consider whether its time to increase the jackson 2.x version ( HADOOP-12705 ).

Whether we do or don't, there will be classpath conflicts with downstream apps (hello HBase! Hello Spark!) —but we get them already.

All that staying on an older one is doing is stopping us pick up later versions of other libraries (HADOOP-13050).

Of course, if people are happy with upgrading Jackson, there's an issue with which one: 2.8.x appears to have some API compatibilities, which is significant. I'm a lot happier with JAR updates that are at least compile time compatible, as they don't break linking so much

On 2 Nov 2016, at 00:05, Zhe Zhang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

I think recutting branch-2.8 from branch-2 is a good idea. We are running
2.6.x in production, and as a result we spend quite some effort for each
patch we want to backport (branch-2 => branch-2.8 => branch-2.7).

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 1:20 AM Brahma Reddy Battula <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

Thanks Akira and Karthik for replies.
If there is no significant benefit over current branch-2.8 ,re-cutting
will be an good idea, As we can reduce the maintenance effort.

--Brahma Reddy Battula
-----Original Message-----
From: Akira Ajisaka [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 31 October 2016 14:06
To: Karthik Kambatla
Cc: Brahma Reddy Battula; Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Updated 2.8.0-SNAPSHOT artifact

Thanks Karthik for the comment.

Pros:

* (Probably) we can release 2.8.0 earlier.

  * New feature in 2.8.0 will be available sooner.
  * We can deprecate APIs sooner. After 2.8.0 is released, we can remove
them from trunk.

Cons:

* Maintenance cost becomes higher because # of branches becomes more.
* New feature in 2.9.0 will be available later

I'm okay with either releasing current branch-2.8 or re-cutting it.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Akira