On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 2:15 PM, Steve Loughran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

We should probably start qualifying the word incompatible more often.

Are we okay with an API incompatible Hadoop-3? No.

Are we okay with an wire-incompatible Hadoop-3? Likely not.

Are we okay with breaking other forms of compatibility for Hadoop-3, like
behavior, dependencies, JDK, classpath, environment? I think so. Are we
okay with breaking these forms of compatibility in future Hadoop-2.x?
Likely not. Does our compatibility policy allow these changes in 2.x?
Mostly yes, but that is because we don't have policies for a lot of these
things that affect end-users. The reason we don't have a policy, IMO, is a
combination of (1) we haven't spent enough time thinking about them, (2)
without things like classpath isolation, we end up tying developers' hands
if we don't let them change the dependencies. I propose we update our
compat guidelines to be stricter, and do whatever is required to get there.
Is it okay to change our compat guidelines incompatibly? May be, it
warrants a Hadoop-3? I don't know yet.

And, some other policies like bumping min JDK requirement are allowed in
minor releases. Users might be okay with certain JDK bumps (6 to 7, since
no one seems to be using 6 anymore), but users most definitely care about
some other bumps (7 - 8). If we want to remove this subjective evaluation,
I am open to requiring a major version for JDK upgrades (not support, but
language features) even if it meant we have to wait until 3.0 for JDK
upgrade.
Karthik Kambatla
Software Engineer, Cloudera Inc.
http://five.sentenc.es