> On 19 Oct 2016, at 14:52, Shane Kumpf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I kind of agree here

working on other projects with wider line lenghts (100, 120) means that you find going back to 80 chars so restrictive; and as we adopt java 8 code with closures, your nesting gets even more complex. Trying to fit things into 80 char width often adds lots of line breaks which can make the code messier than if it need be.

the argument against wider lines has historically been "helped side-by-side" patch reviews. But we have so much patch review software these days: github, gerrit, IDEs. i don't think we need to stay in punched-card width code limits just because it worked with a review process of 6+ years ago

I like that as a warning sign of complexity...it's not a hard veto after all.