I've tracked down the problem to only occur in standalone mode. In
pseudo-distributed mode, everything works fine. My underlying OS is Ubuntu
12.04 64bit. When I access the directory in linux directly, everything
looks normal. It's just when I access it through hadoop. Has anyone seen
this problem before and knows a solution?

Thanks,
Sigurd