On Aug 28, 2012, at 8:50 PM, Alejandro Abdelnur wrote:

> Chris, thanks for initiating the discussion.

Likewise, thanks Chris!

> IMO a pre-requisite to this is to figure out how we'll handle the following:

Good points - I'd recommend we keep Common and HDFS in the same project. Yes, MR/YARN will need some changes in Common occasionally, but core pieces like RPC have been maintained by HDFS folks over time anyway e.g. move to ProtoBufs were led by Sanjay, Suresh, Todd, Jitendra et al.

We can move SequenceFile into MR if necessary and keep same package names for compatibility.

We should, of course, stop tweaking things in different projects in the same jira - we've been reasonably good at not doing that.

Thoughts?

Arun

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.