Hive >> mail # user >> Lifecycle and Configuration of a hive UDF

Re: Lifecycle and Configuration of a hive UDF
Have a read of the thread "Lag function in Hive", linked from:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hive-user/201204.mbox/thread

There's an example of how to force a function to run reduce-side. I've
written a UDF which replicates RANK () OVER (...), but it requires the
syntactic sugar given in the thread. I'd like to make changes to the
hive query planner at some point, so that you can annotate a UDF with
a "run on reducer" hint, and after that I'd happily open source
everything. If you want more details of how to implement your own
partitionedRowNumber() UDF then I'd be happy to elaborate.

Cheers,

Phil.