Accumulo, mail # dev - asciidoc manual

Re: asciidoc manual
Billie Rinaldi 2013-05-03, 20:35
On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think it looks great, but my only concern is how easily is this
> automated, without a lot of manual package installation and setup. I'd
> want to make it easy for developers to simply check out the project
> and build, without a lot of forethought, like it is to do with some of
> the more often used maven plugins for documentation (doxia). I'd like
> anybody to be able to check out the project and fix a typo in the
> documentation, and test how it looks, without installing a lot of
> extra packages.
>
> (Note: this is currently not easily done with the existing system, as
> pdflatex and other tools are required to be installed in advance, so
> I'm glad we're looking outside of LaTeX, for that reason. I just
> wouldn't want to move laterally in this regard, if we can move
> upwards.)

At this point, I wouldn't mind a lateral move that is more easily
maintainable.  I haven't detailed the current process of translating latex
to html, but it is probably worse than you imagine.  Basically, I want a
simple solution that will make it so I don't have to do the manual
latex/html translation process one more time for 1.5.0 (a process that
creates imperfect html anyhow).  The asciidoc solution also has the benefit
of making more consistent pdf and html versions than we have now.

Based on a superficial initial look at doxia, it seems like we're going to
have to give up something to use it for generating html and pdf formats,
i.e. we may have to maintain the manual in xml format instead of plain
text.  I would rather not do that.  But if that's not true, or if someone
makes a really compelling argument for how much better things could be if
we start with xml, we could consider switching in the future.

Billie