HBase >> mail # user >> the occasion of the major compact?

the occasion of the major compact?
Hello,

I read this blog http://outerthought.org/blog/465-ot.html. It mentions
that every 24 hours the major compaction will occur. My question is
that if there are any other conditions which can trigger major
compaction happening? For example, when the size of store file reaches
the threshold (I think this will cause minor compaction or region file
split, not major compaction, but not quite sure).

Thanks!

Yong