From: lars hofhansl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2013 9:35 PM
Subject: Re: Bulkloading impacts to block locality (0.94.6)

A write in HDFS (by default) places one copy on the local datanode, another one on a node in a different rack (when applicable), and a third one on a node in the same rack.
HBase gets data locality by being co-located with the data nodes, so after a compaction all blocks of the compacted HFile(s) are local.
For bulkload you probably had an external process place the HFiles onto HDFS, and hence the location of these HFile's blocks are more or less random (from HBase's point of view).
Sometimes the HFiles need to be split again (if they do not fit the current region boundaries). In that we could be smart and write the split hfiles on the correct data nodes to get data locality, but it seems we are not doing that.

-- Lars