Hadoop >> mail # user >> basic question about rack awareness and computation migration

Re: basic question about rack awareness and computation migration
Your concern is correct: If your input is a list of files, rather than
the files themselves, then the tasks would not be data-local - since
the task input would just be the list of files, and the files' data
may reside on any node/rack of the cluster.

However, your job will still run as the HDFS reads do remote reads
transparently without developer intervention and all will still work
as you've written it to. If a block is found local to the DN, it is
read locally as well - all of this is automatic.

Are your input lists big (for each compressed output)? And is the list
arbitrary or a defined list per goal?

--
Harsh J