Hive, mail # user - Can hive show external table filenames?

+
Keith Wiley 2013-01-31, 19:37
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-01-31, 20:12
+
Keith Wiley 2013-01-31, 21:55
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-01-31, 22:38
Re: Can hive show external table filenames?
Keith Wiley 2013-01-31, 23:13
Thanks, that seems like a reasonable summary of my options.

Cheers!

On Jan 31, 2013, at 14:38 , Edward Capriolo wrote:

> You can execute dfs commands from inside hive
>
> hive>dfs -ls
>
> You can also use virtual columns inside a select
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-virtualcolumns.html
>
> However there is no direct command in hive to list the files in a
> table/partition.
>
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Keith Wiley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hmmm, that doesn't seem to list the files in the directory.
>>
>> On Jan 31, 2013, at 12:12 , Edward Capriolo wrote:
>>
>>> Try
>>> describe extended <tablename>
>>> or
>>> describe extended <tablename> (<partition>)
>>>
>>> the location is one of the properties
>>>
>>> Edward

"Yet mark his perfect self-contentment, and hence learn his lesson, that to be
self-contented is to be vile and ignorant, and that to aspire is better than to
be blindly and impotently happy."
                                           --  Edwin A. Abbott, Flatland