Chukwa >> mail # dev >> Re: What constitute a successful project?

+
Dai, Jason 2012-11-29, 13:54
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-30, 06:39
+
Jerome Boulon 2012-11-30, 09:04
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-30, 16:05
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-27, 08:08
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-27, 14:19
+
Suresh Marru 2012-11-27, 12:36
+
Benson Margulies 2012-11-27, 13:54
+
ant elder 2012-11-27, 15:16
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-27, 15:32
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-28, 05:41
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-28, 06:00
+
Jukka Zitting 2012-11-27, 08:29
+
Jukka Zitting 2012-11-27, 08:41
Re: What constitute a successful project?
Hi,

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Alan Cabrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Even by the PPMC's comments they obliquely acknowledge that there's not much
> activity and expressed an interested in simply keeping it around with the hopes
> that something would happen; there were no concrete ideas or plans on how to
> grow the community because, by their own admission, no one has the time to
> work much on the project.

That lack of concrete plans is a good place to start. Anyone from the
community who opposes retirement should take it up on themselves to
provide such a concrete plan for example in time for next month's
report. Just like the caster of a technical veto should come up with
an alternative implementation. :-)

As an example of how this can play out, see the way we asked Kitty to
provide such a plan [1] when some members of the community opposed the
idea of retirement. In Kitty nobody stood up to the task, so a few
months later the final decision to retire the project was a pretty
easy one to make.

Another example with a different outcome is JSPWiki that had a similar
discussion at the beginning of the year, and actually a few members of
the community did start working through all the issues and have now
produced their first Apache release and seem to be on a path towards
graduation even though the project is still far below its past
activity.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/smhl3cxvrgq5cf22

BR,

Jukka Zitting