Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Accumulo Versions (was Accumulo feature freeze in 1 week)

On the feature freeze reminder thread, Chris said:

> I don't mind putting things off to 1.7 (if necessary). But... if 1.6.0
> isn't sufficiently feature rich, there's not really a reason to
> release it just yet... until those features are ready. That said, I do
> think there'll be enough features in 1.6.0 to release it as a minor
> release, if we're interpreting the version as the standard
> off to 1.7.

I didn't want to derail that thread, but this does not line up with what
I've seen in Accumulo. (Though I agree that it is a common numbering
scheme[1])

The Accumulo release guide[2] doesn't specify how "minor" and "major" turn
into positions in the version number. However, the git workflow guide[3]
does, and basically says that Accumulo uses

x.y.z

y = major
z = minor

This also lines up with my understanding of previous Accumulo releases and
cross-compatibility amongst them.
[1]: http://semver.org/spec/v2.0.0.html
[2]: http://accumulo.apache.org/governance/releasing.html
[3]: http://accumulo.apache.org/git.html#release-management