Drill >> mail # dev >> sqlline access to Drill

Re: sqlline access to Drill
On Jun 5, 2013, at 7:44 AM, Jacques Nadeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Not yet.  Fitting a statically-typed language together with a dynamic
> schema is painful.  (Julian can attest.)  We saw this as the first
> step towards implicit transformation.

Yes. SQL (and Optiq's implementation of it) is strongly typed. Where we're at now is that values from a map have type ANY. Operators are still strongly typed, so you need to cast to avoid ambiguity.

My plan is to reduce the amount of explicit typing required by the user by adding additional overloaded operators, e.g. a "<ANY> + <ANY>" that calls "<INT> + <INT>" or "<DOUBLE> + <DOUBLE>" at runtime based on the runtime type of its arguments. Still strongly typed, but working more similarly to how JavaScript works.

Also to add syntactic sugar such as "_map.field" as shorthand for "_map['field']".

Julian