Zookeeper, mail # dev - Re: Extracting Zab from Zookeeper

Re: Extracting Zab from Zookeeper
Flavio Junqueira 2011-01-22, 15:26
Not only it won't be trivial, but I don't have it completely clear
that if we separate Zab and ZooKeeper you will have exactly what you
need. In our previous discussions about this issue, we ended up
concluding that we would need a richer interface than simply abcast
and abdeliver. For example, one important aspect currently is stable
storage for logging and checkpointing. To separate the ZooKeeper
application and Zab we would have to decide which side would manage
it, but both sides would need access to to it some way.

It sounds like a good idea to think carefully if a separate Zab would
really satisfy your requirements before spending time on the
implementation.

-Flavio

On Jan 22, 2011, at 8:43 AM, André Oriani wrote:

> If I do not reply soon, do not think I gave up. My employer is
> keeping me
> busy lately :)
>
> I will try take a look at the patch of jira
>
> Regards,
> André
>
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 09:45, Patrick Hunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> It's non-trivial - but iirc the patches/links on ZOOKEEPER-30 show
>> the
>> finished work product from the original effort. I suspect that this
>> would be a great starting point, most of the work being to "port"
>> those changes onto the latest trunk. Ben what do you think? Was the
>> original approach solid? Seems like a great starting point.
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 8:35 AM, André Oriani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>> Sure, I am interested in. What should I do besides reading the
>>> papers,
>>> downloading the code compiling and doing some code walkthrough ?
>>>

>>> Tks,
>>> André

>> if

>> of
>> is
>> the

flavio
junqueira

research scientist

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
direct +34 93-183-8828

phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301