Hadoop >> mail # general >> [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.23.0-rc1

Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.23.0-rc1
Thanks for the update, Arun!

I checked this RC:

 - Signatures and message digests all are good.
 - We still need a top level full LICENSE, NOTICE and a README for both the
source and binary artifacts. [can be copied from
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-0.20.205.0-rc1/]
 - CHANGES.txt for common and hdfs are duplicated in
./share/doc/hadoop/$PROJECT and
./share/doc/hadoop/hadoop-project-dist/$PREOJECT
 - CHANGES.txt files are still a bit hard to find. Top level would be good,
but then we will need to rename them as COMMON-CHANGES.txt etc. What do you
and others think?
 - What about Release-notes? It will be great to package them. Not sure if
we ever shipped release-notes out with the release though.

Testing: Did the same tests that I did with RC0, on a single node.
  - Started HDFS daemons in secure mode running as 'hdfs' user, created
directories.
  - Successfully started YARN daemons - ResourceManager and NodeManager -
running as 'mapred' user.
  - Still running into the same issue running mapreduce jobs using the
container-executor binary shipped with the tar-ball:
2011-11-01 16:30:00,326 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.containermanager.localizer.ResourceLocalizationService:
Localizer failed
java.io.IOException: App initialization failed (2)
     I tried installing and testing trunk, 0.23 code and the current RC,
was a lengthy affair. Finally I cornered this to the built binary. The
container-executor binary shipped is a 64 bit version, while I am on a
32-bit arch. When I manually built the code myself and replaced just the
binary with my 32 bit version one, everything went fine. I guess we need to
ship both the versions?
  - With the replaced binary, I ran wordcount, pi, sort, grep as a user
different from hdfs/mapred and they all pass just fine.

Thanks,
+Vinod