Accumulo, mail # user - Accumulo / HBase migration

+
Donald Miner 2013-07-09, 17:26
+
Christopher 2013-07-09, 17:35
+
Kurt Christensen 2013-07-09, 17:31
+
Donald Miner 2013-07-09, 17:36
+
dlmarion@... 2013-07-09, 18:20
+
William Slacum 2013-07-09, 18:41
Re: Accumulo / HBase migration
Keith Turner 2013-07-09, 17:39
I suspect taking the route of translating individual files is tricky.   If
one hfile has a delete entry that suppresses keys in another hfile, then
this needs to be handled properly.  If you read through the HBase API, then
it will be handled.   Assuming that you can read sorted ranges per mapper,
it seems like the following could be done.

HBase -> map-only mapreduce that creates an rfile per mapper -> Accumulo
bulk load -> Accumulo

If HBase has something like Accumulo's offline map reduce, then this could
be done more efficiently while still using the full HBase API to read data.

Keith

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Donald Miner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Has anyone developed tools to migrate data from an existing HBase
> implementation to Accumulo? My team has done it "manually" in the past but
> it seems like it would be reasonable to write a process that handled the
> steps in a more automated fashion.
>
> Here are a few sample designs I've kicked around:
>
> HBase -> mapreduce -> mappers bulk write to accumulo -> Accumulo
> or
> HBase -> mapreduce -> tfiles via AccumuloFileOutputFormat -> Accumulo bulk
> load -> Accumulo
> or
> HBase -> bulk export -> map-only mapreduce to translate hfiles into tfiles
> (how hard would this be??) -> Accumulo bulk load -> Accumulo
>
> I guess this could be extended to go the other way around (and also
> include Cassandra perhaps).
>
> Maybe we'll start working on this soon. I just wanted to kick the idea out
> there to see if it's been done before or if anyone has some gut reactions
> to the process.
>
> -Don
>
> This communication is the property of ClearEdge IT Solutions, LLC and may
> contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review,
> retransmissions, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in
> reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the
> intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this communication in
> error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy all copies of the
> communication and any attachments.
+
Donald Miner 2013-07-09, 17:49