Hive >> mail # dev >> How long will we support Hadoop 0.20.2?

Re: How long will we support Hadoop 0.20.2?
On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Edward Capriolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> I am not fine with dropping it. I still run it in several places.

The question is not whether you run Hadoop 0.20.2, but whether you are
likely to install Hive 0.12 on those very old clusters.

> Believe it or now many people still run 0.20.2. I believe (correct me If I
> am wrong) facebook is still running a heavily patch 0.20.2.

It is more accurate to say that Facebook is running a fork of Hadoop where
the last common point was Hadoop 0.20.1. I haven't heard anyone (other than
you in this thread) say they are running 0.20.2 in years.
> I could see dropping 0.20.2 if it was a huge burden but I do not see it
> that way, it work's it is reliable, and it is a known quantity.

It is a large burden in that we have relatively complicated shims and a
lack of testing. Unless you are signing up to test every release on 0.20.2
we don't have anyone doing the relevant testing.

-- Owen