MapReduce >> mail # dev >> [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.1.0-beta

Vinod,

Thanks for reviving this thread.

The current blockers are:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20in%20(hadoop%2C%20mapreduce%2C%20hdfs%2C%20yarn)%20and%20status%20in%20(open%2C%20'patch%20available')%20and%20priority%20%3D%20blocker%20and%20%22Target%20Version%2Fs%22%20%3D%20%222.1.0-beta%22

By looking at them I don't see they are necessary blockers for a beta
release.

* HADOOP-9688 & HADOOP-9698

  They definitely have to be addressed before a GA
  release.

* YARN-701

  It should be addressed before a GA release.

  Still, as it is this breaks unmanaged AMs and to me
  that would be a blocker for the beta.

  YARN-701 and the unmanaged AMs fix should be committed
  in tandem.

* YARN-918

  It is a consequence of YARN-701 and depends on it.

* YARN-926

  It would be nice to have it addressed before GA release.
We could do a beta with what we have at the moment in branch-2 and have a
special release note indicating API changes coming in the next beta/GA
release as part of YARN-918 & YARN-926.

IMO, we should move forward with the beta release with the current state.
Else we'll continue delaying it and adding more things that break/change
things.

Thanks.

Alejandro
On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Looks like this RC has gone stale and lots of bug fixes went into 2.1 and
> 2.1.0 branches and there are 4-5 outstanding blockers. And from what I see
> in CHANGES.txt files there seems to be a confusion about which branch to
> get in what.
>
> I'm blowing off the current 2.1.0 release branch so that we can create a
> fresh release branch and call voting on that. I'll fix CHANGES.txt entries
> as well as JIRA fix version for bugs committed recently if there are
> inconsistencies.
>
> Let me know if something is amiss while I do this.
>
> Thanks,
> +Vinod
>
> On Jul 3, 2013, at 11:06 AM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli wrote:
>

> > We should get these in, looking at them now.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > +Vinod
> >
> > On Jun 28, 2013, at 12:03 PM, Hitesh Shah wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Arun,
> >>
> >> From a YARN perspective, YARN-791 and YARN-727 are 2 jiras that may
> potentially change the apis. They can implemented in a backward compat
> fashion if committed after 2.1.0. However, this will require adding of
> differently-named apis ( different urls in case of the webservices ) and
> make the current version of the api deprecated and/or obsolete. YARN-818
> which is currently patch available also changes behavior.
> >>
> >> Assuming that as soon as 2.1.0 is released, we are to follow a very
> strict backward-compat retaining approach to all user-facing layers  (
> api/webservices/rpc/... ) in common/hdfs/yarn/mapreduce, does it make sense
> to try and pull them in and roll out a new RC after they are ready? Perhaps
> Vinod can chime in if he is aware of any other such jiras under YARN-386
> which should be considered compat-related blockers for a 2.1.0 RC.
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> -- Hitesh

> would like to get released.

> (639 fixes) which includes several major advances including:
> the ecosystem

> http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-2.1.0-beta-rc0/
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.1.0-beta-rc0

> days.