Hadoop >> mail # user >> streaming cacheArchive shared libraries

streaming cacheArchive shared libraries
I can use cacheFile to load .so files into the distributed cache and it works fine (the streaming executable links against the .so and runs), but I can't get it to work with -cacheArchive.  It always says it can't find the .so file.  I realize that if you jar a directory, the directory will be recreated when you unjar, but I've tried jaring a file directly.  It is easily verified that unjarring such a file reproduces the original file as a sibling of the jar file itself.  So it seems to me that cacheArchive should have transferred the jar file to the cwd of my task, unjarred it, and produced a .so file right there, but it doesn't link up with the executable.  Like I said, I know this basic approach works just fine with cacheFile.

What could be the problem here?  I can't easily see the files on the cluster since it is a remote cluster with limited access.  I don't believe I can ssh to any individual machine to investigate the files that are created for a task...but I think I have worked through the process logically and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thoughts?

                                           --  Yoda