Hive >> mail # user >> Hive struct

ok.  i'll bite.

when you say "struct" do you mean that literally?  if so then you know the
first and last elements _by definition_. so that's easy and i presume you
can solve that.
other than that if you mean "map" or "array" i think you're not going to do
it in native hive.  For this I'd personally recommend looking at the
transform() function.  Its your back-door to do all sorts of wild and crazy
things that you can dream up.

That said there's not whole lot of collection functions i see listed in the
hive udf page. maybe some day those'll get a refresh.

keep in mind this is all my 2 cents only.  ymmv.