HBase >> mail # user >> Re: [Programmatic cluster monitoring] How to use the HBase monitoring APIs

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:17 PM, techbuddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all Hbase veterans, gurus, newbies,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to go about programmatically monitoring an
> Hbase cluster using the APIs listed @
> http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/monitoring/package-summary.html.
> I couldn't land any webdoc explaining how to use these APIs.. I know about
> the monitoring alternatives of using Ganglia ,JMX etc. But surprisingly, I
> couldn't retrieve any documentation/tutorial on using the above APIs..
> Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

If you look at the javadoc you'll see they all have the annotation:

@InterfaceAudience.Private

This is how we flag stuff that is for server-side only, not for public
consumption.

These classes are used by the server variously adding stuff to UIs, etc.

Regards monitoring stuff programmatically, what do you mean?  Why
would you want to write a monitoring tool when there are already
myriad?  If you insist, you could do something like grab the json
content of the /jmx servlet run on each server or you could enable
metrics and catch the firehose by parsing ganglia formatter messages
or the text form you can have dumped to a file, etc.

Let us know more what you need so we can help you out.

St.Ack