From: Something Something [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 17 September 2012 11:09
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Questions about Hive

Note:  I am a newbie to Hive.

Can someone please answer the following questions?

1)  Does Hive provide APIs (like HBase does) that can be used to
retrieve data from the tables in Hive from a Java program?  I heard
somewhere that the data can be accessed with JDBC (style) APIs.  True?

2)  I don't see how I can add indexes on the tables, so does that mean a
query such as the following will trigger a MR job that will search files
on HDFS sequentially?

hive> SELECT a.foo FROM invites a WHERE a.ds='2008-08-15';
3)  Has anyone compared performance of Hive against other NOSQL
databases such as HBase, MongoDB.  I understand it's not exactly apples
to apples comparison, but still...

Thanks.
Confidential: This electronic message and all contents contain information from Syntel, Inc. which may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message and all copies.