HBase >> mail # user >> independent scans to same region processed serially

independent scans to same region processed serially
Wanted to check with folks and see if they've seen an issue around this
before digging in deeper. I'm on 0.94.2. If I execute in parallel
multiple scans to different parts of the same region, they appear to be
processed serially. It's actually faster from the client side to execute
a single serial scan than it is to execute multiple parallel scans to
different segments of the region. I do have region observer coprocessors
for the table I'm scanning, but my code is not doing any synchronization.

Is there a known limitation in this area? Anyone else see anything similar?

     James