HBase >> mail # dev >> HBase wire compatibility

+
Jimmy Xiang 2012-02-13, 19:01
+
Ted Yu 2012-02-13, 19:03
+
Jimmy Xiang 2012-02-13, 21:02
+
Ted Yu 2012-02-13, 21:18
+
Ted Yu 2012-02-13, 21:23
+
Jimmy Xiang 2012-02-13, 22:04
+
Ted Yu 2012-02-13, 22:07
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-02-13, 22:22
+
Ted Yu 2012-02-13, 22:33
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-02-13, 23:23
+
Stack 2012-02-14, 00:09
+
Ted Yu 2012-02-14, 00:15
+
Jimmy Xiang 2012-02-14, 00:58
+
Stack 2012-02-14, 01:10
+
Jimmy Xiang 2012-02-14, 01:21
+
Gregory Chanan 2012-02-15, 01:30
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-02-15, 01:57
+
Ted Yu 2012-02-15, 20:09
+
lars hofhansl 2012-02-15, 20:12
+
Ted Yu 2012-02-15, 22:01
+
Stack 2012-02-15, 03:36
+
Stack 2012-02-21, 04:53
+
Devaraj Das 2012-02-16, 20:30
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-02-16, 20:48
+
Jimmy Xiang 2012-02-16, 20:56
+
Jacques 2012-02-16, 22:27
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-02-16, 22:33
Re: HBase wire compatibility
Fair enough.  That's why I mentioned ByteString more than anything else.
 If the new RPC will always convert client api/application values into
ByteStrings and my application is always storing protobuf keys and protobuf
objects, it'd be nice if I could just hand you a ByteString as the value
for each of these rather than converting them back to byte[] and then
having you convert them again.

thanks,
Jacques

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Todd Lipcon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Jacques <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Or at a minimum, it would be nice that if
> > we wanted to get access to the lower level pb objects, that modifications
> > to HTable and/or supporting classes wouldn't be super complicated.
>
> It's less a matter of complexity, and more a matter of not wanting to
> expose the implementation details as part of the API. It really
> restricts us when we do this -- for example, KeyValue is used in the
> underlying storage all the way up through the client API, which means
> it's verify difficult for us to do something like switch to an
> off-heap storage for cell data, for example.
>
> That said, the request for an easy way to build convenience APIs with
> low numbers of copies makes sense
>
> -Todd
> --
> Todd Lipcon