HBase, mail # user - Encryption in HBase

Re: Encryption in HBase
Michael Segel 2012-08-08, 23:42
Hi,

First you have to ask yourself what's the purpose of the encryption.
Usually encryption is part of a bigger security implementation, so I don't think you'll gain much by encrypting at this level of granularity.

Looking at trying to encrypt at the HFile level....

Unless I'm missing something, your HFIle will span multiple HDFS blocks. Each HDFS block is actually a file, right?
So what happens when you fetch a row from a file in a simple get()?

You can see that you have a lot of work to do.

Compare that to encrypting the column data itself.
Storing and encrypted byte array vs an un-encrypted byte array isn't much different.
Does that make sense?