Pig >> mail # dev >> Pig 0.10.1 to Pig 0.11.1 API compatibility break

+
Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren 2013-04-18, 09:23
+
Dmitriy Ryaboy 2013-04-19, 07:11
+
Bill Graham 2013-04-19, 07:29
Re: Pig 0.10.1 to Pig 0.11.1 API compatibility break
Hi,

The RC tag method sounds good, any mechanism that gives a heads-up  that
possibly some incompatible changes have been made would be cool.

Regards,
 Gerrit

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Bill Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Gerrit,
>
> Sorry to hear these changes caused you problems. The PPNL interface is
> marked as Evolving, so it should be expected that future releases of that
> interface will change (i.e. break). I'm open for ways to better communicate
> these changes when they occur besides the current release notes process.
>
> thanks,
> Bill
>

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 12:11 AM, Dmitriy Ryaboy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Gerrit, we do try to keep backwards incompatible changes to a minimum,
> > but sometimes they are needed to make progress. How about we make a
> > practice of tagging notifications about new pig release candidates with
> > [RC] so you can set up your filters and get a heads up to try your
> software
> > with the latest release candidate? That will at least let you prepare for
> > changes before a release is made, or perhaps argue that we should revert
> > something that is backwards incompatible.
> >
> > On Apr 18, 2013, at 2:23 AM, Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm the developer of http://gerritjvv.github.io/glue/ that uses the
> Pig
> > API
> > > directly to launch pig jobs in separate JVM instances.
> > >
> > > Recently I've updated to use pig-0.11.1 and found two API compatibility
> > > breaks.
> > >
> > > PigServer.parseExecType does not exist anymore, (was a static method up
> > > pig-0.10.1)
> > >
> > > New method for PigProgressNotificationListener
> > >
> > > public void initialPlanNotification(String scriptId, MROperPlan plan)
> > >
> > > It would be nice if you guys (when possible) could lookout for these
> kind
> > > of breaks in the future.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Gerrit