HDFS >> mail # user >> dfs.name.dir and fs.checkpoint.dir

dfs.name.dir and fs.checkpoint.dir
Per recommendations I received in Cloudera's Hadoop Administrator training, I configured our dfs.name.dir property with 3 directories, one on the NN, one on an nfs mount to a Hadoop client machine (in the same rack as the NN), and one to an nfs mount to a NAS (different rack, same datacenter).  I also configured the fs.checkpoint.dir with 3 directories, one on the 2NN (the NN is one 1 machine, the JT and 2NN are on a second machine), one on an nfs mount to the same Hadoop client machine, and one to an nfs mount to the same NAS.

With this configuration we experienced sever delays in the delivery of updated fsimage files from the 2NN to the NN (several hours for an fsimage file under 2GB).  I've since removed the NAS from the fs.checkpoint.dir property and our network guys "optimized the hell out of the nfs mount" and the updated fsimage file now get delivered to the NN in minutes.

My question is, is there really any reason at all for specifying more than one directory in fs.checkpoint.dir?  I probably did it out of paranoia when I was first configuring the cluster.  How is this property configured in other Hadoop environments?

Thanks,
Dave Shine

The information contained in this email message is considered confidential and proprietary to the sender and is intended solely for review and use by the named recipient. Any unauthorized review, use or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.