Hive >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] HCatalog becoming a subproject of Hive

+
Alan Gates 2012-11-02, 20:52
+
Namit Jain 2012-11-05, 04:35
Re: [DISCUSS] HCatalog becoming a subproject of Hive

On Nov 4, 2012, at 8:35 PM, Namit Jain wrote:

> I like the idea of Hcatalog becoming a Hive sub-project. The
> enhancements/bugs in the serde/metastore areas can indirectly
> benefit the hive community, and it will be easier for the fix to be in one
> place. Having said that, I don't see serde/metastore
> moving out of hive into a separate component. Things are tied too closely
> together. I am assuming that no new committers would
> be automatically added to Hive as part of this, and both Hive and HCatalog
> will continue to have its own committers.

One thing in this we'd like to discuss is the HCatalog committers having commit access to the metastore sections of Hive code.  That doesn't mean it has to move into HCatalog's code base.  But more and more the fixes and changes we're doing in HCatalog are really in Hive's metastore.  So we believe it would make sense to give HCat committers access to that component as well as HCat.

Alan.

> Thanks,
> -namit
>

> On 11/3/12 2:22 AM, "Alan Gates" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Hive community.  It is time for HCatalog to graduate from the
>> Apache Incubator.  Given the heavy dependence of HCatalog on Hive the
>> HCatalog community agreed it made sense to explore graduating from the
>> Incubator to become a subproject of Hive (see
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-hcatalog-user/201209.mb
>> ox/%3C08C40723-8D4D-48EB-942B-8EE4327DD84A%40hortonworks.com%3E and
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-hcatalog-user/201210.mb
>> ox/%3CCABN7xTCRM5wXGgJKEko0PmqDXhuAYpK%2BD-H57T29zcSGhkwGQw%40mail.gmail.c
>> om%3E ).  To help both communities understand what HCatalog is and hopes
>> to become we also developed a roadmap that summarizes HCatalog's current
>> features, planned features, and other possible features under discussion:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HCATALOG/HCatalog+Roadmap
>>
>> So we are now approaching you to see if there is agreement in the Hive
>> community that HCatalog graduating into Hive would make sense.
>>
>> Alan.

+
Namit Jain 2012-11-07, 04:06
+