From: Suresh Srinivas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:56 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Vote] Merge branch-trunk-win to trunk

I had posted heads up about merging branch-trunk-win to trunk on Feb 8th.
I am happy to announce that we are ready for the merge.

Here is a brief recap on the highlights of the work done:
- Command-line scripts for the Hadoop surface area
- Mapping the HDFS permissions model to Windows
- Abstracted and reconciled mismatches around differences in Path
semantics in Java and Windows
- Native Task Controller for Windows
- Implementation of a Block Placement Policy to support cloud
environments, more specifically Azure.
- Implementation of Hadoop native libraries for Windows (compression
codecs, native I/O)
- Several reliability issues, including race-conditions, intermittent test
failures, resource leaks.
- Several new unit test cases written for the above changes

Please find the details of the work in CHANGES.branch-trunk-win.txt -
Common changes<http://bit.ly/Xe7Ynv>, HDFS changes<http://bit.ly/13QOSo9>,
and YARN and MapReduce changes <http://bit.ly/128zzMt>. This is the work
ported from branch-1-win to a branch based on trunk.

For details of the testing done, please see the thread -
http://bit.ly/WpavJ4. Merge patch for this is available on HADOOP-8562<
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-8562>.

This was a large undertaking that involved developing code, testing the
entire Hadoop stack, including scale tests. This is made possible only
with the contribution from many many folks in the community. Following
people contributed to this work: Ivan Mitic, Chuan Liu, Ramya Sunil, Bikas
Saha, Kanna Karanam, John Gordon, Brandon Li, Chris Nauroth, David Lao,
Sumadhur Reddy Bolli, Arpit Agarwal, Ahmed El Baz, Mike Liddell, Jing
Zhao, Thejas Nair, Steve Maine, Ganeshan Iyer, Raja Aluri, Giridharan
Kesavan, Ramya Bharathi Nimmagadda, Daryn Sharp, Arun Murthy, Tsz-Wo
Nicholas Sze, Suresh Srinivas and Sanjay Radia. There are many others who
contributed as well providing feedback and comments on numerous jiras.

The vote will run for seven days and will end on March 5, 6:00PM PST.

Regards,
Suresh
On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Mahadevan Venkatraman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> It is super exciting to look at the prospect of these changes being
> merged to trunk. Having Windows as one of the supported Hadoop
> platforms is a fantastic opportunity both for the Hadoop project and
Microsoft customers.

> This work began around a year back when a few of us started with a
> basic port of Hadoop on Windows. Ever since, the Hadoop team in
> Microsoft have made significant progress in the following areas:
> (PS: Some of these items are already included in Suresh's email, but
> including again for completeness)
>
> - Command-line scripts for the Hadoop surface area
> - Mapping the HDFS permissions model to Windows
> - Abstracted and reconciled mismatches around differences in Path
> semantics in Java and Windows
> - Native Task Controller for Windows
> - Implementation of a Block Placement Policy to support cloud
> environments, more specifically Azure.
> - Implementation of Hadoop native libraries for Windows (compression
> codecs, native I/O) - Several reliability issues, including
> race-conditions, intermittent test failures, resource leaks.
> - Several new unit test cases written for the above changes
>
> In the process, we have closely engaged with the Apache open source
> community and have got great support and assistance from the community
> in terms of contributing fixes, code review comments and commits.
releases.
data challenges.
branch-1.
http://hortonworks.com/download/