HBase >> mail # dev >> Cannot locate root region

+
Karthik Ranganathan 2010-01-28, 23:57
+
Karthik Ranganathan 2010-01-29, 05:30
+
Joydeep Sarma 2010-01-29, 09:20
RE: Cannot locate root region
@Joy: The info stored in .META. for various regions as well as in the ephemeral nodes for region servers in zookeeper are both already IP address based. So doesn't look like multi-homing and/or the other flexibilities you mention were a design goal as far as I can tell.

Regarding: <<< doesn't the reverse ip lookup just once at RS startup time?>>>, what seems to be happening is this:

A regionServer periodically sends a regionServerReport (RPC call) to the master. A HServerInfo argument is passed as an argument and it identifies the sending region server's identity in IP address format.

The master, in ServerManager class, maintains a serversToServerInfo map which is hostname based. Every time a master receives a regionServerReport it converts the IP address based name to a hostname via the info.getServerName() call. Normally this call returns the hostname, but we suspect that during the DNS flakiness, it returned an IP address based string. And so, this caused ServerManager.java to think that it was hearing from a new server. And this lead to:

 HServerInfo storedInfo = serversToServerInfo.get(info.getServerName());
    if (storedInfo == null) {
      if (LOG.isDebugEnabled()) {
        LOG.debug("Received report from unknown server -- telling it " +   <<===========          "to " + CALL_SERVER_STARTUP + ": " + info.getServerName());  <<===========      }

and bad things down the road.

The above error message in our logs (example below) indeed identified the host in IP address syntax, even though normally the getServerName call would return the info in hostname format.

2010-01-28 11:21:34,539 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.ServerManager: Received report from unknown server -- telling it to MSG_CALL_SERVER_STARTUP: 10.129.68.203,60020,1263605543210

This affected three of our test clusters at the same time!

Perhaps all we need to do is to change the ServerManager's internal maps to all be IP based? That way we avoid/bypass the master having to look up the hostname on every heartbeat.

regards,
Kannan