Thinking ahead to hadoop-2.6
With hadoop-2.5 nearly done, it's time to start thinking ahead to hadoop-2.6.
Currently, here is the Roadmap per the wiki:
• Credential provider HADOOP-10607
• Heterogeneous storage (Phase 2) - Support APIs for using storage tiers by the applications HDFS-5682
• Memory as storage tier HDFS-5851
• Dynamic Resource Configuration YARN-291
• NodeManager Restart YARN-1336
• ResourceManager HA Phase 2 YARN-556
• Support for admin-specified labels in YARN YARN-796
• Support for automatic, shared cache for YARN application artifacts YARN-1492
• Support NodeGroup layer topology on YARN YARN-18
• Support for Docker containers in YARN YARN-1964
• YARN service registry YARN-913
My suspicion is, as is normal, some will make the cut and some won't. Please do add/subtract from the list as appropriate. Ideally, it would be good to ship hadoop-2.6 in a 6-8 weeks (say, October) to keep up a cadence.
More importantly, as we discussed previously, we'd like hadoop-2.6 to be the *last* Apache Hadoop 2.x release which support JDK6. I'll start a discussion with other communities (HBase, Pig, Hive, Oozie etc.) and see how they feel about this.
NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential,
privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any printing, copying, dissemination, distribution, disclosure or
forwarding of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately
and delete it from your system. Thank You.