Hadoop, mail # user - Mappers vs. Map tasks

Re: Mappers vs. Map tasks
Bertrand Dechoux 2014-02-25, 08:38
The wiki (or Hadoop The Definitive Guide) are good ressources.
https://www.inkling.com/read/hadoop-definitive-guide-tom-white-3rd/chapter-7/input-formats

Mapper is the name of the abstract class/interface. It does not really make
sense to talk about number of mappers.
A task is a jvm that can be launched only if there is a free slot ie for a
given slot, at a given time, there will be at maximum only a single task.
During the task, the configured Mapper will be instantiated.

Always :
Number of input splits = no. of map tasks

And generally :
number of hdfs blocks = number of input splits

Regards

Bertrand

PS : I don't know if it is only my client, but avoid red when writting a
mail.