Hadoop >> mail # user >> Hadoop Serialization mechanisms

Re: Hadoop Serialization mechanisms
But I believe w.r.t. "will we see performance gains when using
avro/thrift/... over writables" -- it depends on the writable
implementation.    For example, If I have  a writable serialization which
can use a bit map to store an enum,  but then read that enum as a string:
It will look the same to user, but my writable implementation would be
superior.    We can obviously say that if you use avro/thrift/pbuffers in
an efficient way, then yes, you will see a  performance gain then say
storing everything as Text Writable objects.  But clever optimizations can
be done even within the Writable framework as well.