Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Plans of moving towards JDK7 in trunk

Re: Plans of moving towards JDK7 in trunk
Reviving this thread, I noticed there's been a patch and +1 on
HADOOP-10530, and I don't think we actually reached a conclusion.

I (and others) have expressed concerns about moving to JDK7 for trunk.
Summarizing a few points:

- We can't move to JDK7 in branch-2 because of compatibility
- branch-2 is currently the only Hadoop release vehicle, there are no plans
for a trunk-based Hadoop 3
- Introducing JDK7-only APIs in trunk will increase divergence with
branch-2 and make backports harder
- Almost all developers care only about branch-2, since it is the only
release vehicle

With this in mind, I struggle to see any upsides to introducing JDK7-only
APIs to trunk. Please let's not do anything on HADOOP-10530 or related
until we agree on this.

Thanks,
Andrew
On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Steve Loughran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>