From: Stephen Boesch
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 3:07 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Spark vs. Storm

Spark Streaming discretizes the stream by configurable intervals of no less than 500Milliseconds. Therefore it is not appropriate for true real time processing.So if you need to capture events in the low 100's of milliseonds range or less than stick with Storm (at least for now).

If you can afford one second+ of latency then spark provides advantages of interoperability with the other Spark components and capabilities.

  Not exactly. There are of course  major implementation differences and then some subtle and high level ones too.

  My 2-cents:
  Spark is in-memory M/R and it simulated streaming or real-time distributed process for large datasets by micro-batching. The gain in speed and performance as opposed to batch paradigm is in-memory buffering or batching (and I am here being a bit naive/crude in explanation.)

  Storm on the other hand, supports stream processing even at a single record level (known as tuple in its lingo.) You can do micro-batching on top of it as well (using Trident API which is good for state maintenance too, if your BL requires that). This is more applicable where you want control to a single record level rather than set, collection or batch of records.

  Having said that, Spark Streaming is trying to simulate Storm's extreme granular approach but as far as I recall, it still is built on top of core Spark (basically another level of abstraction over core Spark constructs.)

  So given this, you can pick the framework which is more attuned to your needs.