Hadoop >> mail # user >> Impact of Tez/Spark to MapReduce

Re: Impact of Tez/Spark to MapReduce
I think it is necessary to look at the question from multiple angles:

First there is MapReduce as computing paradigm.
Second there is the MapReduce API.
And third you have an implementation.

My believe is that the computing paradigm is not going away anytime soon. It's a fundamental approach for distributed computing. Not the only one though.
The API should also be quite stable so our applications will continue to work. I think it's also a save bet that there will be more high level apis making developers more productive but will call MapReduce internally.
And then there is the implementation which will indeed call/use Tez to execute the map and reduce tasks rather sooner than later. This is transparent for the developer just his app just execute faster.

Functional programming will certainly play an important role but I doubt it will be the only style e.g. Scala is big but it has not eliminated Java, JavaEE or Spring over the last 10 years.

And that's great isn't it? Java/JVM has always been about developer freedom: Platform, language, APIs, frameworks, implementations,.... You pick what makes you most productive.

Just my few cents...
Emil