Hadoop, mail # dev - very old dependencies

Re: very old dependencies
Chris Nauroth 2014-03-28, 22:30
Regarding JDK7, we have at least one jira I'm aware of proposing several
improvements that we can make in our code by using new JDK7 APIs.

If anyone wants to repurpose this as a master JDK7 enhancement jira and
start cataloging additional improvement ideas for using JDK7 APIs, please
feel free.

The reluctance I've heard around JDK7 mostly relates to testing and
compatibility across ecosystem components.  If there are success stories
around large-scale Hadoop system test suites executed with JDK7, then that
could help build confidence.  For compatibility, I think this effectively
means that Hadoop, HDFS, YARN and MapReduce have to wait until after all
downstream ecosystem projects finish their upgrades to JDK7.

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/