Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Logistics for releasing 2.4

Re: Logistics for releasing 2.4
On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> > On Jan 22, 2014, at 12:04 PM, Andrew Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> Monthly releases make no sense to me.

I think the 'monthly' was a rough measure.  Every 6-8 weeks works too.  A
regular release schedule works nicely over in hbaselandia in our 0.94
branch run by one of the lads.  Once the cadence is established, stuff
comes in when it is 'ready'.  There is no need to hurry up because the
release train will be by again soon enough.  Stuff comes in when it is
'ready'.

>  So, a 2.4 right now dropping YARN-149 and YARN-321 makes little sense to
> me. Particularly when the YARN dev community has put in so much effort and
> both are very close.
>
> >> Unless anyone else objects, I plan to cut a 2.4 branch later this week.
>
>  I do object. I'm not sure how/why I have displeased the community, is
> there a reason we need to rush in this manner by brushing aside concerns
> which seem to be broadly shared? I don't appreciate the cold shoulder.

Go easy.  There has been no expression of dissatisfaction.

On other hand, do you 'own' 2.x releases?

Over in hbase, we like to mix it up; spreads the work and how its done in
case one of us gets hit by a bus.

Good on you Arun,
St.Ack