Hadoop, mail # dev - Re: Policy on adding timeouts to tests

Re: Policy on adding timeouts to tests
Andrew Wang 2014-04-16, 18:44
The timeouts are nice when trying to debug test failures on Jenkins,
because otherwise you just see something like this:

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: The forked VM terminated without
saying properly goodbye. VM crash or System.exit called ?

We still see this today because some tests lack timeouts. I'd encourage
bringing back the test timeout requirement, but always setting a
conservative value (e.g. always 2+ mins). I think the debuggability
improvements are worth it, and we shouldn't need as many "raise the
timeout" JIRAs.

If someone wants to put in some additional effort, it'd be even better to
do what HBase did and categorize our tests into "fast" and "slow" maven
profiles. This would give us a nice way of running the fast subset as a
smoke. Right now, I doubt many devs run the test suite locally since it
takes multiple hours.

Best,
Andrew

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Tsuyoshi OZAWA