Hadoop, mail # general - [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page

Re: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page
Owen O'Malley 2011-06-16, 15:02
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:35 PM, Eric Sammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think the question is can one call it "Hadoop?" Note I'm *not*
> saying "Apache Hadoop," just "Hadoop" when the derived work is actually
> derived (to any degree, as Craig R pointed out). Apache Hadoop always and
> forever means the bits voted on by the PMC - no vendor can claim that - but
> there does appear to be plenty of prior examples of "reasonable" use of ASF
> (and other OSS organization) project names in clearly derived works.

Thank you, Eric, for demonstrating why we are fixing it. Apache owns the
Hadoop trademark. Hadoop is PRECISELY the same as Apache Hadoop. They are
two names for the same thing. If the Hadoop PMC were to fail to enforce
that, the Apache board would remove us en masse from the PMC.

-- Owen