Zookeeper, mail # dev - [DISCUSS] move hedwig/bookkeeper to subproject

[DISCUSS] move hedwig/bookkeeper to subproject
Benjamin Reed 2011-03-02, 17:55
i wanted to start a discussion about making hedwig and bookkeeper a
subproject. (actually pat started the discussion last month in general
about all of the contrib projects.) there are three questions, in my
mind, that we need to answer to move forward:

1) should it be a hedwig/bookkeeper subproject, or should there be two
separate projects? we need to build a developer community and i'm
wondering if we should try to build a single dev community or two. the
relationship is a bit asymmetrical: hedwig depends on bookkeeper, but
not visa-versa. i'm inclined to say we do a hedwig subproject and
include bookkeeper with it, but i don't feel strongly.

2) should we propose a subproject to zookeeper or to incubator? i'm a
bit more inclined to propose a zookeeper subproject simply because it
fits well with the zookeeper community, but it does introduce a bit
more overhead to the zookeeper PMC.

3) do we have the developer interest to make it happen in the first
place? i know we can get at least 3 initial committers from yahoo!,
but projects should be represented by multiple companies. (the goal is
at least 3.) so, is there interest in working on the project from
others?

please comment. these are all open issues, so opinions are what i'm
looking for. if there isn't much discussion, i think that will
implicitly answer 3 :)

thanx
ben