Kafka >> mail # user >> understanding how consumers pull messages off

understanding how consumers pull messages off
How do you actually setup a consumer group? i.e. a group of consumer
processes that will be pulling messages of a particular brokers topic?

>From what I understand the client has to keep track of the offset, if this
is done using zookeeper, does this mean for every message that is consumed,
it will make a call to zookeeper?  That seems to chatty for me, but how
else will multiple consumers coordinate which messages have been processed.