MapReduce >> mail # user >> Reg: Permissions while running bin/hadoop

Reg: Permissions while running bin/hadoop
I am using Hadoop 1.1.1 to prepare a POC for a simple project. I am using
Windows 7 and cygwin for the same and it is a single node setup. I have
only my windows machine to use for this purpose and I login with my account
that is created by my company.

I run all the commands from cygwin.
I am trying to setup the Standalone Operation and Pseudo-Distributed
Operation as mentioned in the following link.
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r0.20.0/quickstart.html#Prepare+to+Start+the+Hadoop+Cluster

Scenario 1: Standalone Operation, no entries in the conf/*-site.xml
ran bin/hadoop jar hadoop*-exam*.jar grep input output 'dfs[a-z.]+'

Error:

12/12/12 11:05:45 ERROR security.UserGroupInformation:
PriviledgedActionException as:<user-id>
cause:java.io.IOException: Failed to set permissions of path:
\tmp\hadoop-<user-id>\mapred\staging\<user-id>1619674617\.staging to 0700

I tried chmod 0700 to the above folder. But the error persists.

Scenario 2: Pseudo-Distributed Operation

Made necessary changes @ conf/*-site.xml as mentioned in the above link
ran the following commands
bin/hadoop namenode
bin/hadoop datanode
bin/start-mapred.sh

my jps states that

4524 JobTracker
7120 Jps
5200 DataNode
4736 NameNode

I look at my logs and find that the tasktracker had problem starting up.

Error:
2012-12-12 11:24:47,726 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker: Can not
start task tracker because java.io.IOException: Failed to set permissions
of path: \tmp\hadoop-<user-id>\mapred\local\taskTracker to 0755
I tried chmod 0755 to the above folder. But the error persists.

When tasktracker prompts for password <user-id>@localhost's password, I
enter my login password

what am I missing here? Any help would be highly appreciated.

I would not be getting any access to *nix machines nor can I install a dual
OS. Company restrictions.
--Jenny