Kafka, mail # dev - Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jul 2012 ([ppmc])

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jul 2012 ([ppmc])
Joel Koshy 2012-07-03, 00:02
Looks like I don't have write access to the incubator wiki, and I have
requested it. Meanwhile, here is the content I have. Would be helpful if
people can review it to see if there is anything else they would like to
add:

Thanks,

Joel

Kafka
(introduced to Apache incubator on Jul 4, 2011)

Kafka provides an extremely high throughput distributed publish/subscribe
messaging system. Additionally, it supports relatively long term
persistence of messages to support a wide variety of consumers,
partitioning of the message stream across servers and consumers, and
functionality for loading data into Apache     Hadoop for offline, batch
processing.

* A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards
graduation.

None. We are considering whether to pursue graduation immediately or focus
exclusively on the development of 0.8.

* Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be
aware of

None.

* How has the community developed since the last report

- The mailing list continues been very active with bug reports, patch
submissions, feature requests and use cases. [(Apr,May,Jun): kafka-users
(151, 261, 251); kafka-dev (142, 195, 380)].
- Added two new committers.
- Conducted the first Kafka user group meeting with over 50 attendees
(archived video link available here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+papers+and+presentations).
This was a very successful event that gave users and contributors an
opportunity to meet and discuss Kafka usage at various companies, ongoing
development efforts, feature requests, etc.
- Received and reviewed several major patches (including contributions from
non-committers).

* How has the project developed since the last report.

- Intra-cluster replication (KAFKA-50)
  - Considerable progress has been made on the design and implementation on
this much-anticipated feature.
  - Regular status updates are being sent out on the kafka-dev mailing list.
- Another significant project that is under discussion and development is
the consumer redesign (KAFKA-364) and consumer coordinator implementation
(KAFKA-264).
- Released Kafka 0.7.1 in June. This is the second Kafka release since its
introduction to Apache incubator.