-Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jul 2012 ([ppmc])
Joel Koshy 2012-07-03, 00:02
Looks like I don't have write access to the incubator wiki, and I have
requested it. Meanwhile, here is the content I have. Would be helpful if
people can review it to see if there is anything else they would like to
(introduced to Apache incubator on Jul 4, 2011)
Kafka provides an extremely high throughput distributed publish/subscribe
messaging system. Additionally, it supports relatively long term
persistence of messages to support a wide variety of consumers,
partitioning of the message stream across servers and consumers, and
functionality for loading data into Apache Hadoop for offline, batch
* A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards
None. We are considering whether to pursue graduation immediately or focus
exclusively on the development of 0.8.
* Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be
* How has the community developed since the last report
- The mailing list continues been very active with bug reports, patch
submissions, feature requests and use cases. [(Apr,May,Jun): kafka-users
(151, 261, 251); kafka-dev (142, 195, 380)].
- Added two new committers.
- Conducted the first Kafka user group meeting with over 50 attendees
(archived video link available here:
This was a very successful event that gave users and contributors an
opportunity to meet and discuss Kafka usage at various companies, ongoing
development efforts, feature requests, etc.
- Received and reviewed several major patches (including contributions from
* How has the project developed since the last report.
- Intra-cluster replication (KAFKA-50)
- Considerable progress has been made on the design and implementation on
this much-anticipated feature.
- Regular status updates are being sent out on the kafka-dev mailing list.
- Another significant project that is under discussion and development is
the consumer redesign (KAFKA-364) and consumer coordinator implementation
- Released Kafka 0.7.1 in June. This is the second Kafka release since its
introduction to Apache incubator.
On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Marvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear podling,
> This email was sent by an automated system on behalf of the Apache
> Incubator PMC.
> It is an initial reminder to give you plenty of time to prepare your
> board report.
> The board meeting is scheduled for Wed, 18 July 2012, 10:00:00 PST. The
> for your podling will form a part of the Incubator PMC report. The
> Incubator PMC
> requires your report to be submitted 2 weeks before the board meeting, to
> sufficient time for review and submission (Wed, Jul 4th).
> Please submit your report with sufficient time to allow the incubator PMC,
> subsequently board members to review and digest. Again, the very latest you
> should submit your report is 2 weeks prior to the board meeting.
> The Apache Incubator PMC
> Submitting your Report
> Your report should contain the following:
> * Your project name
> * A brief description of your project, which assumes no knowledge of the
> or necessarily of its field
> * A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards
> * Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be
> aware of
> * How has the community developed since the last report
> * How has the project developed since the last report.
> This should be appended to the Incubator Wiki page at:
> Note: This manually populated. You may need to wait a little before this
> page is
> created from a template.
> Mentors should review reports for their project(s) and sign them off on the
> Incubator wiki page. Signing off reports shows that you are following the